* Platelet and mean platelet volume kinetics in adult patients with sepsis.
- The aims of this study were to evaluate the kinetics of platelet counts and mean platelet volume (MPV) in adults with sepsis and to determine whether the responses are infection-specific. This retrospective cohort study included patients admitted to a tertiary-care teaching hospital with microbiologically proven nosocomial sepsis between January 2006 and January 2011. Platelet counts and MPV measurements were examined daily for 5 days after the onset of sepsis. During the study period, 151 of the 214 sepsis episodes were associated with thrombocytopenia. Gram-positive microorganisms were the most frequently isolated. The decrease in platelet counts was statistically significant for the first 3 days of sepsis in Gram-positive septic patients, for 4 days in Gram-negative septic patients and for all 5 days in fungal septic patients (p < 0.001). The increase in MPV values was statistically significant for the first 3 days of sepsis in Gram-positive septic patients and for all 5 days in the other groups (p < 0.001). We conclude that fungal sepsis has a stronger association with thrombocytopenia and increased MPV.
=>意義深い, 重大な, 意味のある, 意味ありげな, 重要な
Overview of adj significant
The adj significant has 4 senses (first 4 from tagged texts)
1. (18) significant, important -- (important in effect or meaning; "a significant change in tax
laws"; "a significant change in the Constitution"; "a significant contribution"; "significant
details"; "statistically significant")
2. (9) significant, substantial -- (fairly large; "won by a substantial margin")
3. (3) significant -- (too closely correlated to be attributed to chance and therefore indicating a
systematic relation; "the interaction effect is significant at the .01 level"; "no significant
difference was found")
4. (2) meaning, pregnant, significant -- (rich in significance or implication; "a meaning look")
--- WordNet end ---
PubMed database: last updated on 2020-02-18 (c)sirasawa 2019