* Genotoxicity potentials of anionic and cationic amino acid-based surfactants.
- To understand the genotoxic consequences of chemical agents, random amplification of polymorphic DNA (RAPD) as a useful biomarker to be used as an investigation tool for environmental toxicology. In this study, sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS) was used as a toxic anionic surfactant, and glutamic acid-based cationic bicatanar surfactant (GS) was used as less toxic cationic amino acid-based surfactant. Experimental results show significant correlations between the RAPD profile changes with root growth, mitotic activity and chromosomal aberration test. The inhibitory rates of root growth at 400 ppm of SDS and GS were 85% and 32%, respectively. Mitotic activity results showed a drastic decrease in SDS exposures, whereas there was no significant decrease in GS treatment. Comparison of the chromosomal aberration test results, rates were indicated at 100, 200 and 400 ppm of SDS and GS; 10, 17, 26 (SDS) and 6, 9, 9 (GS) consequently. Also DNA alterations started at 100 and 200 ppm during SDS and GS exposures, respectively. These preliminary findings encourage the utilization of GS as an environmental friendly surfactant detected by these tools in the investigation of genotoxicity potentials of SDS and GS on maize and the other crops.
=>意義深い, 重大な, 意味のある, 意味ありげな, 重要な
Overview of adj significant
The adj significant has 4 senses (first 4 from tagged texts)
1. (18) significant, important -- (important in effect or meaning; "a significant change in tax
laws"; "a significant change in the Constitution"; "a significant contribution"; "significant
details"; "statistically significant")
2. (9) significant, substantial -- (fairly large; "won by a substantial margin")
3. (3) significant -- (too closely correlated to be attributed to chance and therefore indicating a
systematic relation; "the interaction effect is significant at the .01 level"; "no significant
difference was found")
4. (2) meaning, pregnant, significant -- (rich in significance or implication; "a meaning look")
--- WordNet end ---
PubMed database: last updated on 2020-09-28 (c)sirasawa 2019