2015 Computer methods in biomechanics and biomedical engineering
* Isolated effect of geometry on mitral valve function for in silico model development.
- Computational models for the heart's mitral valve (MV) exhibit several uncertainties that may be reduced by further developing these models using ground-truth data-sets. This study generated a ground-truth data-set by quantifying the effects of isolated mitral annular flattening, symmetric annular dilatation, symmetric papillary muscle (PM) displacement and asymmetric PM displacement on leaflet coaptation, mitral regurgitation (MR) and anterior leaflet strain. MVs were mounted in an in vitro left heart simulator and tested under pulsatile haemodynamics. Mitral leaflet coaptation length, coaptation depth, tenting area, MR volume, MR jet direction and anterior leaflet strain in the radial and circumferential directions were successfully quantified at increasing levels of geometric distortion. From these data, increase in the levels of isolated PM displacement resulted in the greatest mean change in coaptation depth (70% increase), tenting area (150% increase) and radial leaflet strain (37% increase) while annular dilatation resulted in the largest mean change in coaptation length (50% decrease) and regurgitation volume (134% increase). Regurgitant jets were centrally located for symmetric annular dilatation and symmetric PM displacement. Asymmetric PM displacement resulted in asymmetrically directed jets. Peak changes in anterior leaflet strain in the circumferential direction were smaller and exhibited non-significant differences across the tested conditions. When used together, this ground-truth data-set may be used to parametrically evaluate and develop modelling assumptions for both the MV leaflets and subvalvular apparatus. This novel data may improve MV computational models and provide a platform for the development of future surgical planning tools.
=>意義深い, 重大な, 意味のある, 意味ありげな, 重要な
Overview of adj significant
The adj significant has 4 senses (first 4 from tagged texts)
1. (18) significant, important -- (important in effect or meaning; "a significant change in tax
laws"; "a significant change in the Constitution"; "a significant contribution"; "significant
details"; "statistically significant")
2. (9) significant, substantial -- (fairly large; "won by a substantial margin")
3. (3) significant -- (too closely correlated to be attributed to chance and therefore indicating a
systematic relation; "the interaction effect is significant at the .01 level"; "no significant
difference was found")
4. (2) meaning, pregnant, significant -- (rich in significance or implication; "a meaning look")
--- WordNet end ---
PubMed database: last updated on 2020-08-05 (c)sirasawa 2019