* Human von Economo neurons express transcription factors associated with Layer V subcerebral projection neurons.
- The von Economo neurons (VENs) are large bipolar Layer V projection neurons found chiefly in the anterior cingulate and frontoinsular cortices. Although VENs have been linked to prevalent illnesses such as frontotemporal dementia, autism, and schizophrenia, little is known about VEN identity, including their major projection targets. Here, we undertook a developmental transcription factor expression study, focusing on markers associated with specific classes of Layer V projection neurons. Using mRNA in situ hybridization, we found that VENs prominently express FEZF2 and CTIP2, transcription factors that regulate the fate and differentiation of subcerebral projection neurons, in humans aged 3 months to 65 years. In contrast, few VENs expressed markers associated with callosal or corticothalamic projections. These findings suggest that VENs may represent a specialized Layer V projection neuron for linking cortical autonomic control sites to brainstem or spinal cord regions.
Overview of noun findings
The noun findings has 1 sense (no senses from tagged texts)
1. findings -- (a collection of tools and other articles used by an artisan to make jewelry or
clothing or shoes)
Overview of noun finding
The noun finding has 3 senses (first 3 from tagged texts)
1. (16) determination, finding -- (the act of determining the properties of something, usually by
research or calculation; "the determination of molecular structures")
2. (3) finding -- (the decision of a court on issues of fact or law)
3. (1) finding -- (something that is found; "the findings in the gastrointestinal tract indicate
that he died several hours after dinner"; "an area rich in archaeological findings")
--- WordNet end ---
PubMed database: last updated on 2021-04-11 (c)sirasawa 2019