2015 Computer methods in biomechanics and biomedical engineering
* Computational fluid dynamics simulation to evaluate aortic coarctation gradient with contrast-enhanced CT.
- Coarctation of aorta (CoA) is a narrowing of the aorta leading to a pressure gradient (ΔP) across the coarctation, increased afterload and reduced peripheral perfusion pressures. Indication to invasive treatment is based on values of maximal (systolic) trans-coarctation ΔP. A computational fluid dynamic (CFD) approach is herein presented for the non-invasive haemodynamic assessment of ΔP across CoA. Patient-specific CFD simulations were created from contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CT) and appropriate flow boundary conditions. Computed ΔP was validated with invasive intravascular trans-CoA pressure measurements. Haemodynamic indices, including pressure loss coefficient (PLc), time-averaged wall shear stress (TAWSS) and oscillatory shear index (OSI), were also quantified. CFD-estimated ΔP values were comparable to the invasive ones. Moreover, the aorta proximal to CoA was exposed to altered TAWSS and OSI suggesting hypertension. PLc was found as a further geometric marker of CoA severity. Finally, CFD-estimated ΔP confirmed a significant reduction after percutaneous balloon dilatation and stenting of the CoA in one patient (e.g. from ΔP∼52 mmHg to ΔP∼3 mmHg). The validation of the ΔP computations with catheterisation measurements suggests that CFD simulation, based on CT-derived anatomical data, is a useful tool to readily quantify CoA severity.
Overview of verb base
The verb base has 3 senses (first 1 from tagged texts)
1. (75) establish, base, ground, found -- (use as a basis for; found on; "base a claim on some
2. base -- (situate as a center of operations; "we will base this project in the new lab")
3. free-base, base -- (use (purified cocaine) by burning it and inhaling the fumes)
Overview of adj based
The adj based has 2 senses (first 2 from tagged texts)
1. (3) based -- (having a base; "firmly based ice")
2. (1) based -- (having a base of operations (often used as a combining form); "a locally based
business"; "an Atlanta-based company"; "carrier-based planes")
--- WordNet end ---
PubMed database: last updated on 2022-12-07 (c)sirasawa 2019