* The shikimate pathway: review of amino acid sequence, function and three-dimensional structures of the enzymes.
- The aromatic compounds such as aromatic amino acids, vitamin K and ubiquinone are important prerequisites for the metabolism of an organism. All organisms can synthesize these aromatic metabolites through shikimate pathway, except for mammals which are dependent on their diet for these compounds. The pathway converts phosphoenolpyruvate and erythrose 4-phosphate to chorismate through seven enzymatically catalyzed steps and chorismate serves as a precursor for the synthesis of variety of aromatic compounds. These enzymes have shown to play a vital role for the viability of microorganisms and thus are suggested to present attractive molecular targets for the design of novel antimicrobial drugs. This review focuses on the seven enzymes of the shikimate pathway, highlighting their primary sequences, functions and three-dimensional structures. The understanding of their active site amino acid maps, functions and three-dimensional structures will provide a framework on which the rational design of antimicrobial drugs would be based. Comparing the full length amino acid sequences and the X-ray crystal structures of these enzymes from bacteria, fungi and plant sources would contribute in designing a specific drug and/or in developing broad-spectrum compounds with efficacy against a variety of pathogens.
Overview of verb base
The verb base has 3 senses (first 1 from tagged texts)
1. (75) establish, base, ground, found -- (use as a basis for; found on; "base a claim on some
2. base -- (situate as a center of operations; "we will base this project in the new lab")
3. free-base, base -- (use (purified cocaine) by burning it and inhaling the fumes)
Overview of adj based
The adj based has 2 senses (first 2 from tagged texts)
1. (3) based -- (having a base; "firmly based ice")
2. (1) based -- (having a base of operations (often used as a combining form); "a locally based
business"; "an Atlanta-based company"; "carrier-based planes")
--- WordNet end ---
PubMed database: last updated on 2022-12-07 (c)sirasawa 2019